Wednesday, 28 October 2015

Peru: Incas, Llama's and Chocolate

Llama overlooking Machu Picchu
Ever since I was in primary school I have always wanted to go to Peru and see Machu Picchu. But as I got older and learnt more about the culture and history of Peru through Ancient History classes in high school, documentaries and travel shows on TV and eventually in my Archaeology studies in University it just made me want to go and experience Peru and Machu Picchu myself even more.  Until eventually in 2014 I finally saved enough to go on my own adventure to Peru( with intrepid travel-  http://www.intrepidtravel.com/au/peru/classic-peru-84284).


Me in traditional-Sacred Valley traditional dress

 When I was planning my trip I did my own research first and decided to go with a Intrepid tour.  None of my friends or family were interested in going to Peru with me so I decided to join a group tour by myself. And I am glad I did because as well as gaining new friends I also got to experience Peru with a group of people with a similar excitement for the rich culture and history rather than travelling with someone who is just there to keep you company.

I chose a 9 day tour:

Day 1 Lima:
The tour started in Lima where I met all my fellow travel companions for a get to know you dinner before heading out for a night walking tour through the cities well preserved historic centre including a tour of one of the beautiful Spanish style churches and catacombs.


Machu Picchu

Day 2-Cuzco:

On day 2 we got up early to travel to catch a flight to Cuzco.  I loved the cobblestone stone streets and how Spanish architecture has been incorporated in the existing Incan architecture.  It is interesting to note that Cuzco has experienced many earthquakes that have destroyed Spanish and modern architecture but the original Incan Incan architecture has not sustained any damage at all.



Machu Picchu

Day 3-Aguas Calientes:

Today was spent driving through the Sacred Valley. Peru's agricultural region north of Cusco. And spending some time with its residents helping them gather food for a traditional meal they served us for lunch. Before heading onto Ollantaytambo to catch the train to Aguas Calientes in the gorge a below the ruins of Machu Picchu  to spend the night before heading up the mountain to spend the day at Machu Picchu.




Day 4- Machu Picchu /Cuzco

Machu Picchu
The morning was spent at the UNESCO World Heritage site of Machu Picchu located at the meeting point of the Peruvian Andes and the Amazon Basin 2430m above sea level. Built in the 15th century by the Incan Empire, Machu Pichu was abandoned when the Incan Empire was conquered by the Spaniards at the end of the 16th Century by the Inca's. Macchu Pichu is made up of approximately 200 structures including temples, palaces, paths and roads, water channels all constructed from large cut stones (geological analysis shows that it was sourced from another mountain) without any cement.


Intrepid tour group-Machu Picchu

Day 5-Machu Picchu

After spending an amazing morning wandering around the amazing ruins, paths and trails of Machu Picchu we headed back down to Aguas Calientes for lunch before catching the train back to Ollantaytambo to meet our coach to head back to Cuzco.
Day 5-Cuzco
This day was spent exploring the streets of Cuzco and visiting the Chocolate Museum and the Coca Museum.



Native of Cusco

Day 6-7: Puno/Lake Titicaca

We spent the night in Puno before going for a cruise on Lake Titicaca to see the floating Islands of Uros and Taquile Island which is home to the knitting men. Before heading to a small community on the shore of Lake Titicaca to meet our host families for our homestay.






Floating Islands of Uros- Lake Titicaca

Day 8-9: Lima

Day 8 was spent travelling back to Lima were we spent our farwell dinner before spending our final night in Lima before heading home on day 9.



Floating Islands of Uros- Lake Titicaca









Even though I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Peru. I would love to return one day and trek the Inca trail to Machu Picchu. And also see the Nazca Lines.



Intrepid Group Lake Titicaca

Resources:
Puru Tourism website: http://www.peru.travel/
UNESCO World Heritage Convention- http://whc.unesco.org/
Peru Rail-http://www.perurail.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment